Sunday, November 28, 2010

Los Ultimos Dias

Here are some more photos from my trip, mostly from the last two days.  One of my friends on the beach had his birthday on my last night, so Kinich made a cake for him.  It was a loaf type of cake, the typical cake here, and it had bananas and raisins in it, and I think perhaps pecans.  The cake in Yelapa is amazing, just like pretty much everything else there.

Pumpkin pie for American Thanksgiving.  I had the most INCREDIBLE Thanksgiving dinner that night too, stuffing myself full of turkey, potatos, and stuffing with cranberries, soon followed by a piece of pie.  I almost exploded.

Everything in Yelapa must be brought in by boat, including sacks of cement that must weigh at least 100lbs each.  Mules are brought down and make multiple trips, each time carrying two sacks back apiece.

Hooray, it's the beer boat!

Across the river, the police are helping Alan try to get his paraglider ready for a good gust of wind.  He has a big fan of sorts strapped to his back, and his hope was to take off into the skies.  For a week he had been trying, but the wind wasn't good.  The police in Yelapa don't have a lot to do, so you often see them doing funny things like this.

Speaking of which, I found myself with some awesome security while I walked up river to check out a litter of puppies that were just born.  Unfortunately, the dude with the puppies wasn't home, but it made for an interesting hike.  We got to walk and talk for about half an hour.  I learned that the police are expected to be on duty pretty much 24hours per day, but they do not take turns or work shifts.  They work all day, all evening, then sleep for a few hours, get up early and get back at it again.  They walk all over the place, all day in their uniforms with shotguns strapped to their backs and pistolas in their belts. 

Just your friendly neighborhood police force.

Can you spot the iguana?  One of the policemen was amazing at seeing these black iguanas everywhere.

Kinich caught a baby iguana on her way to the beach!

The traditional birthday cake with flowers, surrounded by passionfruit, the eager birthday boy on the left.

I will have to go through my photos and see what else needs to be posted, so perhaps one more post to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment