Tuesday, November 16, 2010

La Playa, Comida, La Iglesia, y La Playa un Autra Vece

I woke up late today, got ready, and went to the beach.  My friend Vero (Veronica) has a shop by the hotel there and she had told me to come by and chat.  We sat and talked for hours about life, kids, dreams, the future and just stuff.  I helped her a bit with the store when customers wanted to know things she couldn't answer in English.  I think I was there for about five hours.  It didn't seem that long.

I made sure I put on two layers of sunscreen this time so my sunburn wouldn't get any worse.  My legs HURT today and my burn is ridiculous.  I got some cream from Alicia to put on it.  She is like a medicine woman here and knows what plants to use for what ailments.  She has all kinds of creams and treatments and she always takes care of me when I need it.

After deciding not to allow myself a nap and having a shower, I went into the village to eat a sandwich for just three dollars at Ramona's while watching a HORRIBLE movie in English with Spanish subtitles.  I couldn't even stay to finish the movie it was so bad, and moved on down the street.

I had heard the church bells earlier, which means the priest had arrived and church was in.  Curious, I went up the steps and entered at the back, taking a seat on the last pew.  Everyone was standing, clapping and doing actions to some religious song that was quite catchy.  They had a guy up front playing guitar and another that I knew was playing bass..... electric!  There were women at the front singing and doing the motions and everyone was going along in the crowd.  I felt pretty awkward just sitting there because I can't understand anything when people begin to sing in Spanish.  After two long long songs, I quietly took my leave because I felt weird.  I didn't want them to think I was using them as entertainment, and unless I was willing to participate, that is pretty much how it felt. 

It was pitch black long before I came home and I decided to visit the beach.  The beach is just outside my place, down a few steps.  The ocean is a constant sound in the background for me here.  I padded through the sand in my barefeet and found a spot near the river, not too far from where the waves of the ocean pull back from the beach.  The moon lit up the beach like the blue lights that movies use to indicate darkness.  There were stars filling the sky.  There is a cluster that you can see with the naked eye, but I don't know the sky enough to know their names. 

There is nothing more peaceful and amazing than sitting in the night on the beach in Mexico, in the middle of a quiet paradise like Yelapa.  There was nobody out on my part of the beach to disturb me.. just me, the stars and the water.  I sat for half an hour before I began to get chilly and decided to come in.  I would have sat much longer if I had remembered my sweater.

It is just coming 9pm here (8pm at home) and I have already decided to call it a night.  It is tempting to cross the river and find people to sit and chat with at the restaurant that is open but I need to be alone, and want to get some sleep.  It would be nicer to wake up early in the morning tomorrow.  The restaurant on the beach is a real beautiful spot so I will have to head there another night.  They have candlelight tables spread out on the beach and sweet little nooks and corners under a slanted palapa roof closer to the bar.  It is such a neat hangout in the dark.  If I had people to laugh and talk with, I would want to do it there.

Here are some pics:

Vultures love the beach.

Inside Vero's shop.

Vero outside her shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment