Monday, November 15, 2010

6 hours on the beach

Today I went to the beach for six hours.  I spent my time eating breakfast, drinking lemonade, eating cheese pie, talking with locals, eating quesadillas, talking with friends, and eventually paying my bill and coming back home.  I was careful to stay in the shade of an umbrella but somehow my face still seems to have seen a bit too much sun.  I am going to stay home for a little bit, just to rest and stay cool, and then I am off for tacos at Ramona's tonight.

On my way home, I passed a man with a very pregnant pit bull.  She was so pretty and timid too.  I got to feel her belly and felt one of the puppies move!!  I told him I wished I could see the babies, and he said if I was here for the next few days, to just come by.  He thinks she will have them tomorrow or Wednesday.  He told me where his place is, so maybe I will hike over there tomorrow or Wednesday to see if any little babies have made their way into the sun.

I spent some time talking to Lucky, a man who has been coming here for years and has a house on the path to the waterfall.  That man has some stories!  It is hilarious to sit a little while and prod him with questions.  There were some questions he didn't want to answer, like how many times he has been married or how old he is now (but I found out the answers anyway!)  The man has done so many things, it is crazy.  AND, he hasn't paid rent in forty years he says.  He often just tents when he goes back to the states.

Arg, I just scratched my forehead and it is definitely burned.  How embarassing.  Nothing screams tourist more than a bright red face.

One of the men who walks the beach making money by offering to let people take pictures of him with his pet iguana Pedro (who is eight years old and quite a calm fellow) stopped and talked to me a lot today.  He tried to convince me that I needed a boyfriend in Mexico and was sure to mention his ranch up river where I could live for free.  Maybe I should have mentioned that I have already been claimed by a huge Mexican man who insists I am his woman everytime I come to visit, and spends all of his time trying to get a date.  These guys are hilarious.  And all of them ask why I laugh so much.

Enjoy some photos:





Looking back at the village from my way to the tourist beach.




gah! mi dedos!




Not a very good pic of the river behind me.  It is hidden behind this sand, which actually curves downwards to the water.




Sitting watching the day's happenings... some dudes loading stuff on a boat.




Looking down the tourist beach from my seat.  Boats pull up and let tourists off for the day on the beach where they get lured into sitting in front of restaurants where they can rest in a relaxing chair and order up margaritas to their heart's content.




I, on the other hand, order up limonadas til the cows come home.




AND cheese pie!!!!!!! DELICIOUS!!!




Am I sunburned? sigh.




Where I am sitting right now, just facing the other direction.  Thrilling eh?




The view right now, looking back at where I spent my day.  I think tomorrow I will hike into the jungle for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment